Flag Day is an annual observance of the Second Continental Congress’ official adoption of the stars and stripes in 1777.
IBT TIMES PUT TOGETHER A FANTASTIC REPORT:
At the time, they “resolved that the flag of the 13 United States” be represented by 13 alternating red and white stripes and the union by 13 white stars in a blue field, “representing a new constellation.” Now, more than 200 years later and with an updated design, the flag is an American icon.
Group honors fallen military members to mark Flag Day: The Ride to Remember brings flags to grave sites of fallen servicemen.
Flag Day, though not a federal holiday, is full of tradition. The holiday was established in 1916 by President Woodrow Wilson, and in 1949 Congress declared June 14 a national holiday. Pennsylvania is the only state that observes Flag Day as a state holiday, according to the History Channel. But others host parades and parties in the flag’s honor — just as Wilson intended.
1-5 Facts about Flag Day:
- Bernard J. Cigrand is considered the father of Flag Day. In 1885, as a young teacher at a high school in Waubeka, Wisconsin, Cigrand put a small flag on his desk and told his students to write essays about it. He fought for the rest of his life to formally establish the holiday, according to the National Flag Day Foundation.
- The flag has been changed 27 times. The final star, for Hawaii, was added in 1960.
- The first time the flag was flown after being adopted was on Aug. 3, 1777 in Rome, New York.
- The flag’s colors have become significant over time. The white is for purity, the red is for valor and the blue is for justice, according to usflag.org.
- President George Washington described the design like this: “We take the stars from heaven, the red from our mother country, separating it by white stripes, thus showing that we have separated from her, and the white stripes shall go down to posterity representing liberty.”
READ THE LAST FIVE HERE:
If you like what you read here, then SIGN-UP to get our posts sent directly to your INBOX! We promise to provide information, insight, and a few chuckles. Also, YOU will be supporting a FEARLESS CONSERVATIVE WARRIOR!