The Hidden Dirt on Oprah Winfrey
Oprah Winfrey may be as “fabricated” as the former half-black president.
Would it surprise you to learn that Oprah’s history is as much fiction as Huckleberry Finn?
According to a 2010 story Fox News did about a book on Oprah, she’s a liar:
Trending: Worst Poll for Democrats in YEARS
Winfrey’s relationship with longtime “love” Stedman Graham, her reputed dirt-poor upbringing in rural Mississippi, her rumored lesbian crushes on women such as Diane Sawyer — all are stories she has manipulated for decades in the name of sensational ratings, according to writer Kitty Kelley’s latest unauthorized biography “Oprah.”
The much-anticipated book details how:
* Winfrey concocted stories about sexual abuse she suffered as a child — and grossly exaggerated the poverty she was brought up in.
* She went to great lengths to conceal her “lesbian affairs” — including hefty payoffs — and publicly attached herself to Graham to appear more normal to her audience of housewives.
* She lavished romantic gifts — including a diamond toe ring — on ABC talking head Diane Sawyer.
* Winfrey sold her body to earn extra money and has even described herself as a teen “prostitute.”
* She doesn’t know the true identity of her biological father.
* Her relationship with her own mother is so cold that Winfrey won’t even let the older woman have her phone number.
Funny thing about past, people love the sad stories.
From my personal perspective, people are often disappointed to learn that I was never a Democrat. They love the “conversion” stories. It isn’t bad enough that my mother died before my 5th birthday and my father was in prison for most of my life?
Back to Oprah, she knew the story of rags to riches plays well. Know anybody else like that with a funny name?
Winfrey was born in Kosciusko, Miss., in 1954, and, the way she likes to tell it, she was so impoverished that she never had any new dresses or dolls and had to adopt two cockroaches as pets, naming them Melinda and Sandy.
But her family says that’s nonsense.
She may not have been well off, but Oprah was relatively “spoiled” as a little girl, her cousin said.
“Where Oprah got that nonsense about growing up in filth and roaches I have no idea,” said the relative, Katherine Carr Esters. “I’ve confronted her and asked, ‘Why do you tell such lies?’ Oprah told me, ‘That’s what people want to hear. The truth is boring.’ “
To Oprah’s credit, she’s turned her life around. But why the lies.
And here’s a part of her story that doesn’t play well with her disdain for men.
As a teen, Winfrey was a wild child, promiscuous to the point of prostitution, her relatives said.
The future star would steal from her mother’s purse, pawn her jewelry and even turn tricks. She was eventually sent to live in Nashville with Vernon Winfrey, who was her mother’s former lover and who is listed on her birth certificate as her father. He has been described as the domineering disciplinarian who set her straight.
Yes, a man got her life on the straight and narrow.
There were other rumors floating around Oprah, but you can read the book or the rest of the story here.